A Southern Grace: flank you very much

September 16, 2014

flank you very much

Yum

Living in an apartment can be frustrating for many reasons, but one sore spot for me is the lack of a grill and a place to use it.


We went to the beach last week and the house in which we stayed had a grill that we were really excited to fire up. Our finest meal from the tiny but effective piece of equipment consisted of some marinated flank steak and asparagus. The asparagus was good, but the steak obviously stole the show--it was juicy and tender and smoky, and the marinade had infiltrated every pore. It was a huge hunk of meat for two people, but it turned into two very tasty sandwiches the next day.


My dear beau braved biting bugs and oppressive heat to man the grill, and as it turns out, I like having him make food for me. This just solidified what I already suspected--we need a grill and we need one soon!

Magically Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon dry white wine, optional
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (1-1/2 to 2 pound) London broil
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
Mix all marinade ingredients together.
Place your steak in a zippered bag or a shallow pan.
Add the marinade and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
Remove meat from the marinade, discarded the marinade, and pat the meat dry; season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Preheat a grill and on an oiled rack set about 3 inches over glowing coals.
Grill the meat, turning once, 9 to 10 minutes on each side, or until it registers 125 to 130 degrees F on a meat thermometer for medium-rare.
Transfer meat to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
Cut meat diagonally across the grain into thin slices.



22 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Mmmmhhhh, tasty!

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...

My mouth is watering, Grace.

Unknown said...

I love your blog post title! So glad you got to gt your grill on. We just bought a small gas grill to take out on our porch when we want to BBQ and it was a such a great purchase, so I totally understand your need!

Luci’s Morsels – fashion. food. frivolity.

vanillasugarblog said...

You know when we had our apartment days, and we had many years of them, I just used the cast iron grill pan, turned off the smoke detectors, turned on the fans and went to it!! LOL

~~louise~~ said...

Just keep stocking up on these delicious sounding recipes, Grace and one day your grilling wishes will come true. In the mean time, take advantage whenever you can:)

Thank you so much for sharing, Grace...I'm sure it was a dinner you will relish indefinitely:)

Savor The Baking said...

Hi Grace. I know the feeling of being grill deprived in an apartment. I'm going to try your steak recipe. It sounds delicious.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That asparagus looks beautiful! We couldn't be without our Weber, although I do remember the days of deprivation when we lived in a flat that didn't allow them.

Marcela said...

Wow! Your recipe is so mouthwatering!
I love grilled steaks!
I'm living in apartment too, so I'm always grilling and baking in my parent's place ;)

sandy said...

that is one beautifully charred steak, and I do love flank steak sammies. We have a little weber Smokey Joe that is a champ for grilling in small spaces. I highly recommend!

Erica said...

The marinade sounds great, grace! Delicious recipe.

Marjie said...

Your marinade sounds great. I'm not a fan of black lines on my food, but my sons tell me that just proves I'm abnormal. I hope some other commenters' suggestions help you with your grilling-in-an-apartment dilemma!

Juliana said...

Yum! What a beautiful piece of meat Grace...I am a big meat eater...so this is just perfect for me...I love the ingredients that you user to marinate the meat.
Thanks for the recipe...hope you are having a great week :D

Katerina said...

I want some magic in my steak!

Barbara said...

Love that marinade, Grace! I'm with you..no grill. But I think it's mainly because the kids are grown and it's just me. Always fun to go to someone else's house and enjoy grilling, though.

Lyndas recipe box said...

I can almost smell the aroma of perfectly grilled beef by just looking at your photo- delicious looking Grace!

Pam said...

My kind of dinner - steak & asparagus. It looks and sounds tasty.

All That I'm Eating said...

This looks so good, what a great way to make use of the grill!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Mmmm... I am jealous over that steak. My husband is learning to grill, so I will show him this recipe. And.... I am so jealous that you went to the beach! Grilling and the beach sound like the perfect weekend!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe that's why I want a grill or bbq-so hubby can finally cook for me (although last time he did it, there were so many questions that I ended up doing it myself :P).

Carolyn Jung said...

Nothing better than smoke-kissed meat and veggies. I hope you're able to grill more often. It truly is one of the great pleasures in life.

I Wilkerson said...

I have great memories of grilled flank steak cut across the grain, served with its juices and onions on crusty rolls. I'll have to ask my mother if she marinated it. Then go looking for a flank steak of my own...

Beth said...

I'm so glad your steak was so good! Yes, I think you do need a grill....